Saturday, April 12, 2008

Beirut Tahini Swirls




These Tahini Swirls are a common street food in Lebanon (from what I understand) and incredible as a brunch item. I made these this evening for a brunch tomorrow. They are made from a yeast bread rolled into 10 inch by 5 inch squares, spread with a paste of tahini, sugar, kosher salt, and almond paste and then twisted into spirals. You then roll these out flat with a rolling pin, brush with milk or an egg wash, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and freshly ground sea salt. They are around 8-10 inches in diameter and one 1/2 of these swirls is plenty for a quick breakfast. They are to die for and worth trying. 

As you might surmise, these can be a bit painstaking to prepare, but if you are into this particular form of punishment (as I am), these are absolutely worth the labor. The recipe is quite long and I am loathe to transcribe it this evening (now nearly midnight), but I will happily send it along to anyone interested in giving it a shot. Just shoot me an email.

1 comment:

The Fitch-Jenett Family said...

Holy crap those sound good. When Simon goes off to college in about, oh, 18 years, I'll try to make them.